CCC is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Cognizant Communication Corp. may change this policy periodically by updating this page. We encourage you to check this page regularly to ensure that you are aware of the updates. This policy is effective from May 25, 2018.
About this Policy
This Policy sets out the essential details relating to your personal data relationship with CCC. The Policy applies to all CCC products and services and any associated products or services. The terms governing your use of the CCC website and its related services are defined in our Terms and Conditions of Use (the “Terms and Conditions of Use”) when you register for an account at cognizantcommunication.com.
From time to time, we may develop new or offer additional services. If the introduction of these new or additional services results in any change to the way we collect or process your personal data, we will provide you with more information and additional terms or policies. Unless stated otherwise when we introduce these new or additional services, they will be subject to this Policy.
The aim of this Policy is to:
- Ensure that you understand what personal data we collect about you, the reasons why we collect and use it, and who we share it with;
- Explain the way we use the personal data that you share with us to give you a great experience when you are using CCC services; and
- Explain your rights and choices in relation to the personal data we collect and process about you and how we will protect your privacy.
We hope this helps you to understand our privacy commitments to you. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please contact us at: email@example.com. Alternatively, if you do not agree with the content of this Policy, then please remember it is your choice whether you want to use the CCC website and its related services.
Your rights and your preferences: Giving you choice and control
You may be aware that a new European Union law, called the General Data Protection Regulation or “GDPR” gives certain rights to individuals in relation to their personal data. As available and except as limited under applicable law, the rights afforded to individuals are:
- Right of Access – the right to be informed of and request access to the personal data we process about you;
- Right to Rectification – the right to request that we amend or update your personal data where it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to Erasure – the right to request that we delete your personal data;
- Right to Restrict – the right to request that we temporarily or permanently stop processing all or some of your personal data;
- Right to Object
- the right, at any time, to object to us processing your personal data on grounds relating to your situation;
- the right to object to your personal data being processed for direct marketing purposes;
- Right to Data Portability – the right to request a copy of your personal data in electronic format and the right to transmit that personal data for use in another party’s service; and
- Right not to be subject to Automated Decision-making – the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision making, including profiling, where the decision would have a legal effect on you or produce a similarly significant effect.
To enable you to exercise these rights with ease and to record your preferences in relation to how CCC uses your personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect your personal data in the following ways:
- When you sign up as a new user on the CCC website and/or use other related services provided by CCC (for example subscription agencies, manuscript processing services, etc.,) we collect certain personal data, so you can use CCC services, such as your name, email address, and location.
- From third parties – we will receive personal data about you and your activity from third parties, including payment processors and partners we work with to provide you with CCC services. We will use this personal data either where you have provided your consent to the third party or to CCC to that data sharing taking place or where CCC has a legitimate interest to use the personal data to provide you with CCC services.
What personal data do we collect from you?
Personal data collected when you register on the CCC website or use any CCC services.
Account Registration Data
This is the personal data that is provided by you or collected by us to enable you to register on the CCC website and/or use other services provided by CCC. This includes your name, affiliation, contact information such as email address, bill to and ship to addresses, telephone number, etc.
Some of the personal data we will ask you to provide is required to create your account.
Internal Record Keeping
This is to provide access to purchased content (i.e. subscriptions) to third party vendors associated with CCC, supply purchased content via USPS or UPS and accept submissions for publication.
We may collect such personal data if you, for example: make purchases through the CCC website, via subscription agencies or direct, submit articles through third party manuscript processing programs, etc. The exact personal data collected will vary depending on the payment method but may include information such as:
- Email address
- Bill to Ship to addresses
- Credit card type, expiration date, and certain digits of your card number
- Postal code
- Phone number
- Details of your transaction history
If you choose to pay by invoice, we will provide your personal data to our payment processors to enable them to send you invoices.
What do we use your personal data for?
When you use or interact with the CCC website or any of our other services, we use a variety of technologies to process the personal data we collect about you for various reasons. We have set out below the reasons why we process your personal data, the associated legal bases we rely upon to legally permit us to process your personal data, and the categories of personal data (‘What personal data do we collect from you?’) used for these purposes:
|Description of why CCC processes your personal data (‘processing purpose’)||Legal Basis for the processing purpose||Categories of personal data used by CCC for the processing purpose|
|To provide, personalize, and improve your experience with CCC services and products provided by CCC for example by providing access to purchased content via third party services, shipping of purchased material and processing of materials submitted for publication|
|To process your payment to prevent or detect fraud including fraudulent payments and fraudulent use of CCC services.|
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. The cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Sharing your personal data
We have set out the categories of recipients of the personal data collected or generated through your use of CCC services.
The following personal data will only be shared with the categories of recipients outlined below if you choose to make use of a specific CCC service(s) where sharing of personal data is required for the proper use of the CCC service.
Service Providers and Others
We use technical service providers which may operate the technical infrastructure that we need to provide CCC services, in particular, specific providers which host, store, manage, and maintain the CCC application, its content and the data we process.
Law Enforcement and Data Protection Authorities
We will share your personal data when we, in good faith, believe it is necessary for us to do so to comply with a legal obligation under applicable law, or respond to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, court order, or subpoena.
We will also share your personal data where we in good faith believe that it is necessary for our own, or a third party’s legitimate interest relating to national security, law enforcement, litigation, criminal investigation, protecting the safety of any person, or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm, if we deem that such interest is not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms requiring the protection of your personal data.
Purchasers of our business
We may share your personal data in those cases where we sell or negotiate to sell our business to a buyer or prospective buyer. In this situation, CCC will continue to ensure the confidentiality of your personal data.
Data retention and deletion
We keep your personal data only if necessary to provide you with your CCC services and for legitimate and essential business purposes, such as maintaining the performance of CCC services, complying with our legal obligations, and resolving disputes. We keep some of your personal data for as long as you are a user of CCC services.
If you request, we will delete or anonymize your personal data so that it no longer identifies you, unless, we are legally allowed or required to maintain certain personal data, including situations such as the following:
- If there is an unresolved issue relating to your account, such as an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute we will retain the necessary personal data until the issue is resolved;
- Where we are required to retain the personal data for our legal, tax, audit, and accounting obligations, we will retain the necessary personal data for the period required by applicable law; and/or,
- Where necessary for our legitimate business interests such as fraud prevention or to maintain the security of our users.
Transfer to other countries
CCC shares your personal data globally with other companies to carry out your CCC services. This includes but is not limited to companies in the following countries: United Kingdom, Philippines and the United States of America. CCC may also subcontract processing to, or share your personal data with, third parties located in countries other than your home country. Your personal data may therefore be subject to privacy laws that are different from those in your country of residence.
Personal data collected within the European Union and Switzerland may, for example, be transferred to and processed by third parties located in a country outside of the European Union and Switzerland. In such instances CCC shall ensure that the transfer of your personal data is carried out in accordance with applicable privacy laws and that appropriate contractual, technical, and organizational measures are in place.
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide while visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Keeping your personal data safe
We are committed to protecting our users’ personal data. We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to help protect the security of your personal data; however, please note that no system is ever completely secure.
Your password protects your user account, so we encourage you to use a unique and strong password, limit access to your computer and browser, and log out after having used CCC services.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com.
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
CCC services are not directed to children under the age of 13 years. However, in some countries, stricter age limits may apply under local law.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under 13 years or under the applicable age limit (the “Age Limit”). If you are under the Age Limit, please do not use CCC services, and do not provide any personal data to us.
If you are a parent of a child under the Age Limit and become aware that your child has provided personal data to CCC, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we learn that we have collected the personal data of a child under the age of 13 years, we will take reasonable steps to delete the personal data. This may require us to delete the CCC account for that child.
How to contact us
Cognizant Communication Corporation
PO Box 37
Putnam Valley, NY 10579